Testing the internet connection with your console can provide insight into any issues you might be experiencing.
- Start your console
- Select the Settings menu
PlayStation 5 - located in the upper right corner next to your Profile picture
PlayStation 4 - located in the far right on the PlayStation main screen
- Select Network
- Click Test Internet Connection
- Take a screenshot of the results
Below is a list of the definitions for each line item:
- Obtain IP Address - This will show you if an IP address has been assigned to your console
- Internet Connection - This will show you if your console is connected to the internet
- PlayStation Network Sign-in - This will show you the status of your PlayStation Network sign-in
- NAT Type - This will show you how your console is connected to the internet.
- NAT Type 1: Your console is directly connected to the internet. This is the ideal connection
- NAT Type 2: Your console is connected to the internet with a router. You will be able to connect to other players. Some functions will be limited
- NAT Type 3: Your console is connected to the internet with a router. You may have limited connectivity with other players
- Connection Speed (Download) - The speed that your PlayStation can download data
- Connection Speed (Upload) - The speed that your PlayStation can upload data
For more info, visit the PlayStation article: How to connect your PS5 or PS4 console to the Internet and PSN.